The father of a United States Navy Seal killed in a raid on a suspected al-Qaeda compound in Yemen last month has said he refused to meet US President Donald Trump when his son’s body arrived home.
“I’m sorry, I don’t want to see him,” Bill Owens said he told a chaplain at the time.
The raid on January 28 was the first such operation authorised by Mr. Trump, the BBC reports.
The man, whose son William “Ryan” Owens was killed, told the Miami Herald that “the government owes my son an investigation.”
“Why at this time did there have to be this stupid mission when it wasn’t even a week into his administration? Why?” he said in an interview with the newspaper published on Sunday.
“For two years prior, there were no boots on the ground in Yemen – everything was missiles and drones – because there was not a target worth one American life. Now, all of a sudden we had to make this grand display?”
The raid – approved by President Trump just six days after he took office – is believed to have killed several civilians, including children.
Three other Americans were wounded in the raid, planning for which began under the Barack Obama administration.